- Analyze livestock shipment patterns at the national scale in the US.
- Analyze population genetics of bovine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis) to evaluate potential reservoirs of infection (manuscript in prep).
- Model a hypothetical outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the context of cattle shipment networks in C++.
- Modified high-throughput molecular method (T-RFLP) to identify genotypes of Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria in mouse and tick samples (published article).
- Trained laboratory assistants in performing DNA extraction and PCR of collected tick and mouse tissue samples.
|Ensatina eschscholtzii. Photo by Juan Parra.|
- Conducted genetic analysis of over 3000 samples with minimal to no supervision.
- Extracted DNA from tissue samples (extraction kits, phenol-chloroform, high-salt protocols)
- Amplified nuclear and mitochondrial DNA via PCR (optimization, troubleshooting)
- Performed (Sanger) cycle sequencing reactions, edited and analyzed sequence data (Sequencher, PAUP, MacClade, GeneScan).
- Operated and maintained automated DNA sequencers (ABI 377, ABI 3730).
Data collection contributed to studies on geographic variation and secondary contact in the Sage Sparrow complex and hybridization in the Ensatina salamander ring species complex.